A marvelous thing happened today. Mark Salser brought his woodmiser portable sawmill to our house and we started to convert our four large cedar logs into 1x6 planks. It was a wonderful thing to watch although it was a lot of work moving the logs onto the mill and removing and stacking the green planks.
|The Woodmiser Portable Sawmill|
|The Logs on Thursday Morning|
|Our First Log Loaded onto the Mill|
|1 Inch Slabs|
Milling the first two logs went very smoothly. We were able to move the logs into position using two peevee poles and a large metal pry bar. However, we ran into trouble with the two largest logs. I called in the cavalry and had Quentin shut down the bee store for a few hours to help us move the logs. We tried several methods including the use of a hydraulic jack. After several hours of effort we decided to call a halt and try again the next morning. The logs were just too big to move into position using the available equipment. Mark is going to come back tomorrow with a larger hydraulic jack, a large chain, and several comealongs.
I expect we will get the remaining two logs finished tomorrow. Now my big challenge is to clean out space in our garage so the planks can be properly stickered and dry without warping. Stickering consists of stacking the boards neatly with sticks placed every several feet so that more surface area is exposed yet the boards are kept straight by the weight of the stack. Over the next six months the boards will dry gradually until they are sufficiently dry to be used. I then plan to plane the boards and use my router table to make them into tongue and groove planks for our ceiling.