Monday, May 9, 2011

Package Bees III

    The last of our second group of package bees were sent to their new homes on Wednesday, May 4th.  As a consequence of that and the rainy weather the store has been relatively quiet for the last several days.  After the mad rush of the past month or so it was kind of nice to have a quiet day at the bee store.  While it is nice for the store to be busy it is also nice to get a break now and then.  I was  actually able to take Wednesday off this week and spent a good part of the day working in the garden and working with my own hives.  I think its been more than a month since I was able to take a day off other than a Sunday.

    I'm really getting tired of the cooler than normal spring we've had so far.  I would really like to understand how global warming is responsible for our unusually cool spring weather. Everything is running late from the fruit trees to the maples. I am really ready for several days of nice sunny weather.

     We are now back to living in our own house seven days a week.  For the past six months we've been living in nearby Granite Falls four days a week to help take care of grandkids.  While it is nice to be home more I will miss spending the time with the Veatch family.  Mike's sister, Jenny, has moved up from Utah and will be taking care of the kids for the near future. Its also great to be able to stay in grandparent mode and not to be in the ackward position of having to parent grand children.  I feel like my major accomplishment while living there was getting Madelynn (9) and Abby (7) enthused about cooking breakfast.  It started out with me cooking pancakes, french toast or waffles for breakfast for the kids.  Several months ago I was able to coopt the two older girls into learning how to cook pancakes, waffles, and french toast.  Now they have realized that cooking is a great creative outlet and they are taking some pride in the fact that they can do breakfast by themselves.  They also have shown great interest in expanding their breakfast repetoire.  Madelynn made omlets the other day.  Self reliance and confidence are wonderful things to encourage in kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment