I got up early today to take care of the animals before we left. The ducks of course are still producing two eggs every morning without fail. I have caught a couple of the hens sitting in the next boxes over the past few days. I finally found my first chicken egg. The little pullet egg looks pitifully small compared to the duck eggs. However, the chickens have finally gotten on the score board. The current tally is Ducks 106, Chickens 1. I'm not sure I should even count the pullet egg as a full egg. However, the chickens are in such a hole at this point they need all of the help they can get.
|The duck nest with eight eggs|
|The chicken nest with one small pullet egg|
|My future mint bed|
|This is one of two black currant bushes I planted between the goat pasture and the chicken pen|
|The pullet egg looks very small next to the duck eggs|
Linda has been diligently working outside quite a bit this week. Her efforts have been centered around the cleanup of some garden beds which involves the removal of some peppermint she naively planted several years ago. I dumped the remains of the unruly mint bed out between the chicken pen and the goat pasture, next to my new bee yard. I fully realize that will result in another mint bed, but that is actually a pretty good place for a mint bed. It will have difficulty spreading into the bee yard, the chicken pen or the goat pasture and I have a bamboo barrier on the remaining side. I like having a mint bed near the bee yard as I can use the mint to mask my scent when I want to work the bees bare handed.