The class was originally supposed to be held out doors but the weather was not cooperative. I had rushed to complete my new cold frame for this occasion so I could use it to demonstrate how to extend the season or get a head start on vegetables that need more heat than we normally get. I've wanted to make a decent cold frame for a long time. I had intended to recycle our old bathroom shower door to use in the new cold frame, but Linda accidentally broke it. It really is just as well. If it broke that easily, then it wasn't really suitable. Instead I used some double wall plastic panels that I had down at the bee store. We had used them to make a solar wax melter several years ago. I don't know why I didn't think of using that sooner. It is so much lighter and probably is a lot more energy efficient than the old shower door. The door may be light enough with the plastic panels for glazing that I may be able to install automatic vents. I intend to use the cold frame for starting plants in the spring and possibly for some extended season salad vegetables in the fall. That way my new starts will get plenty of light (not so spindly) and won't be bugging Linda in her living room. Even when I started plants in the living room while Linda was in China, they still didn't get enough light. All the new cold frame needs now is a little weather stripping and it will be ready to go.
|My new cold frame|