Friday, September 28, 2012

Whole Wheat Sour Dough Pancakes

    I've seriously neglected my sour dough starter over the summer.  I just haven't had the time to make bread as often as the starter needs to be fed.  About a month ago I began using the starter to make sour dough pancakes and was very pleased with the results. Even more important, my sweetie really liked them.  Today I tried a new wrinkle and made whole wheat sour dough pancakes.  That actually made them 1/2 whole wheat as the starter was made with unbleached bread flour.  They turned out to be fairly light and fluffy which I consider an important feature of a good pancake. The recipe I used was as follows:

1 one cup of sour dough starter
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon canola oil

     The pancakes were absolutely wonderful with the addition of some orange blossom honey and a glass of milk.  Sadly, Linda has a touch of the flu and wasn't able to enjoy the pancakes.  Since I made a lot more than I should eat at a sitting I ended up feeding most of them to the chickens. At least that way I'll recoup the egg that I used in the recipe. Now that is serious recycling.

    If anyone wants to try my sour dough starter I would be happy to send some to you. If you aspire to be a serious sour dough purist you may want to try your hand at capturing your own sour dough culture. It really is quite easy, assuming you have an apple tree in your yard. I grew my starter from a couple of apples I picked in our back yard. Instructions can be found in my blog post dated November 20, 2011.

     My ukulele book from the library finally came due.  The only song I managed to memorize was the "Sloop John B"., a cautionary tale about the violation of the Word of Wisdom..i.e. bad things happen when you get drunk.  However, I'm eight chords ahead of where I started, I can tune it, and I'm a little more comfortable with a few strum patterns..  Now I'm looking for a ukulele book to purchase. It would be nice to find one with at least a few Hawaiian songs.  My son informed me that a local guitar store has a ukulele class on Saturday mornings.  Unfortunately, I will have to work most Saturdays for the next  month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment