Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Beeswax Lip Balm




Loran Oils Lip Balm Kit
     The presentation at the bee club meeting last night went well. It was a pretty good laugh line when I told them I had made lip balm for the first time the previous evening. I told them that had always been Rachel's area of expertise. I also thought that was a pretty clear indication that making beeswax lip balm is not difficult. I simply bought a kit, followed the simple instructions, and the lip balm turned out great on the first try. The only complication I see is measuring the beeswax. The recipe called for three teaspoons of pelleted beeswax. As far as I know, none of my friends at the bee club produce pelleted beeswax from their hives.  I used my cooking scale to convert that to a weight measurement of 10 grams of beeswax. Similarly, some of the recipes I found on the internet also used volume measures of beeswax rather than weight.

    I'm thinking I should make up some lip balm kits to sell in the store during the candlemaking season. I've already gathered a selection of recipes from the internet in preparation for the bee club presentation. Several of the store's jar suppliers carry small containers suitable for lip balm. That would give me an excuse to experiment a little more. I could even make up a lavender lip balm for those misguided souls in the family who think lavender is a flavor. However, I think it would be much more satisfying to make it from my own beeswax rather than the pelleted Chinese beeswax that came in the kit.

    Last night also marked the start of my last month as bee club president. We hold elections in November and I have put everyone on notice that I am not running for re-election. I feel like I have done my duty for a year and its now someone else's turn. It seems the most difficult part of the job is  recruiting a replacement. You can never find a good control freak when you really need one. However, I think I have successfully persuaded several qualified applicants to allow themselves to be pressed into service.

No comments:

Post a Comment